Students for whom ENGLISH is A SECOND LANGUAGE

Students for whom English is a second language are required to present evidence of proficiency in English in one of the following ways prior to admission to credit classes.


  • Proficiency in English may be determined by the student's score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). A minimum score of 500 on the Institutional paper-based TOEFL (offered at Oklahoma City Community College), minimum score of 173 on the international computer-based TOEFL or a minimum score of 61* on the TOEFL iBT is required for admission. A minimum score of 5.5 on the IELTS is required for admission.
  • INTENSIVE ENGLISH PROGRAM (IEP): Students whose TOEFL scores are below the minimum required for admissions but within a range of 460 to 499 on the Institution TOEFL, 140 to 172 on the International TOEFL, 48 to 60 on the International TOEFL iBT or 5.0 to 5.4 on the IELTS and have successfully completed a minimum of 12 weeks of study at an IEP approved by the State Regents may also meet OCCCs English Proficiency requirement.  At least two-thirds of the 12 weeks must be instruction at an advanced level. 
  • TRANSFER STUDENTS:  Students who are non-native speakers of English must meet the same standards as new students or have successfully completed a minimum of 24 college-level semester hours with passing grades at a college or university where English is the primary language and that is recognized by professional organizations in the U.S. involved in admissions and international education.
  • HIGH SCHOOL PERFORMANCE:  Students who have successfully completed the high school core requirements or graduated from high school where English is the primary teaching language in a country where English is the primary language and demonstrates competency through the Remediation and Removal of High School Curricular Deficiencies Policy may be admitted.

NOTE:  English proficiency requirements for students on an F1 International Student VISA can be found on the "International Student Admissions" webpage.